Cart
  • No products in the cart.
CART Total:$0.00

Raw EEG processing with the Insight

Homepage Forums Developer Forum Raw EEG processing with the Insight

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  George Besma 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Patrick Landon Mead
    Participant

I recently purchased the Insight with EEG and I have some confusion about what I paid for and what I need. Basically, I want to write applications based on EEG patterns.

I will write what I believe to be true and pose a few questions. Please correct any misstatements on my part, supplement the information provided, and provide answers to my questions. I will make two obvious statements first to ensure that I understand the basics.

1. To process raw EEG signals you need three things, a headset (Epoch+, Insight), connectivity (Emotiv USB, Bluetooth), and an SDK or Emotiv application such as TestBench. This makes sense architecturally.
    2. Developers who want to build EEG driven applications need to use the Emotiv Engine and API which are provided by the SDK.
    3. What does the extra money paid for raw EEG provide?
    4. Is the premium SDK required for raw EEG processing?
    5. Should customers who purchased raw EEG have access to the premium SDK?
    6. What is the difference between the CE and premium SDK other than the fact that one is free?
    7. Does the TestBench support the Insight?
    I am not even able to toggle to the Insight menu item.

My invoice # is 35652 and my purchase date is 4/1/16.

Thank you very much
    Patrick

Linh Trinh
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your questions. I would like to answer your all questions as follows.

1. To Record, save and extract Raw EEG data, you would need a headset with EEF enabled, Pure.EEG software ( the udpated version from Testbench). The headset must be connected to Pure.EEG via Bluetooth Smart protocol or USB Dongle. Regarding EEG API in SDK, We look forward to providing API access as part of the EEG enabled premium headsets in Q1 2017. Therefore, the must have items are headset with EEG enabled and Pure.EEG ( or Testbench for old customers before May, 2016)

2. Every headset purchase will include free access to Community SDK with available APIs and code examples so developers can build their own apps.

3. It denpends on how many recordings you need monthly or annually. You can take a look at the software https://www.emotiv.com/product/emotiv-pure-eeg/ for further information.

4 + 5. They are the two different packages. If you purchase Pure.EEG, then you just have access to raw EEG data. Premium SDK is expected to go live in Q1, 2017

6. CE, did you mean Control Panel? If so, Control Panel is a complete application that anyone from end-users to developers can use it. The SDK is software development kit which need programming skills to work it with. You can go to see Community SDK at github.com/Emotiv/community-sdk

7. Yes, as I know, your headset purchase includes Testbench. Please log into the account used to purchase the headset to get the downloads and make sure that you downloaded the latest version.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Best regrads,
    Linh

Linh Trinh
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your questions. I would like to answer your all questions as follows.

1. To Record, save and extract Raw EEG data, you would need a headset with EEF enabled, Pure.EEG software ( the udpated version from Testbench). The headset must be connected to Pure.EEG via Bluetooth Smart protocol or USB Dongle. Regarding EEG API in SDK, We look forward to providing API access as part of the EEG enabled premium headsets in Q1 2017. Therefore, the must have items are headset with EEG enabled and Pure.EEG ( or Testbench for old customers before May, 2016)

2. Every headset purchase will include free access to Community SDK with available APIs and code examples so developers can build their own apps.

3. It denpends on how many recordings you need monthly or annually. You can take a look at the software https://www.emotiv.com/product/emotiv-pure-eeg/ for further information.

4 + 5. They are the two different packages. If you purchase Pure.EEG, then you just have access to raw EEG data. Premium SDK is expected to go live in Q1, 2017

6. CE, did you mean Control Panel? If so, Control Panel is a complete application that anyone from end-users to developers can use it. The SDK is software development kit which need programming skills to work it with. You can go to see Community SDK at github.com/Emotiv/community-sdk

7. Yes, as I know, your headset purchase includes Testbench. Please log into the account used to purchase the headset to get the downloads and make sure that you downloaded the latest version.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Best regrads,
    Linh

Patrick Landon Mead
    Participant

Linh
    Thank you for the reply. Please tell me if my new understanding is correct. I will focus on my specific purchase and my use case. The use case is to build applications which allow people to control objects with their thoughts (as interpreted via EEG signals).

When I mentioned CE, I meant community edition. Sorry about that.

I am going to make several assertions, some of which may not be true, based on my understanding of your response.

1. My Insight is EEG enabled since I purchased the option for EEG.
    2. TestBench has been replaced with Pure EEG .
    3. Based on my purchase, I can download Pure EEG (for Mac) for free which I will do tonight.
    4. Since I have an Insight, the corresponding USB, and I will soon have Pure EEG, I will have everything that I need to build mind controlled applications.
    5. Pure EEG provides some communication protocol that I can invoke programmatically.
    Otherwise, I couldn’t build an application. To build any application and interface with third party software (Emotiv) you either need a protocol (HTTP/REST, HTTP/SOAP, TCP sockets with custom protocol) or native calls via a library and API. I didn’t mention the SDK since it doesn’t provide EEG processing capabilities.

6. To repeat, I want a person to wear the Insight, capture their thoughts, and process those EEG signals all real time with no manual intervention. It was my understanding when I made this purchase that that’s what I was purchasing. Please tell if that was not correct.

Thank you so much

Patrick Landon Mead
    Participant

Linh
    Thank you for this thread and the email reply.

Based on that communication, I believe that I have everything that I need to process real time EEG data. I have the Insight, the Insight USB receiver, and the TestBench. I spoke about integration patterns between applications and TestBench in my previous response. I left out the “ETL” pattern which is write a file and read a file realtime. That sounds like the only integration available at this time. Admittedly, I was hoping for a more seamless integration such as merely including a library into my application.

Based on this thread, TestBench no longer available for new Epoc+ customer, How can I access Raw EEG?, and our conversation it sounds like the TestBench is being replaced by OpenEEG, which is bundled with new headsets and requires a subscription. I assume that I can continue to use TestBench for the foreseeable future. Will Emotiv continue to support it with bug fixes and to support upgrades of the Mac OS and Windows? As a budding entrepreneur I am not particularly excited about subscriptions moving forward. Be that as it may, I am excited to start building. I truly appreciate your assistance and patience!

Please let me know if my understanding is finally correct. Thank you!

Patrick Landon Mead
    Participant

Linh

I spoke about integration patterns between applications and TestBench in my previous response. I left out the “ETL” pattern which is write a file and read a file realtime. That sounds like the only integration available at this time. Admittedly, I was hoping for a more seamless integration such as merely including a library into my application.

I did some reading on TestBench today (and had it up and running) and that led to some questions which I posed to support using Emotiv’s chat application. They confirmed what I suspected.

The TestBench is fine for capturing EEG, writing that data to a file, then processing the results later. However, it doesn’t appear that the TestBench saves without user intervention. I would have to write a Sikuli script or something to save periodically. Even if that worked, it’s not a stable reliable real-time flow. I thought that I was buying hardware and software to enable real-time processing of EEG waves that I could integrate into applications. Real-time is the operative word. That’s what drove me to purchase the extra EEG option.

I think the disconnect is partially due to documentation and partially due to the fact that I bought the Insight with EEG right before you introduced the Premium SDK and Open EEG.

Thank you

Linh Trinh
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick.

Please be noted that Pure.EEG ( an updated version from Testbench) is considered as one of the premium software of all our software and applications available in store and we do not have any software namely Open EEG. It will give you access to raw EEG data in real time, then you can save and extract it. I would encourage you to read its manual get more information on how to use it or you can refer it at https://www.emotiv.com/product/emotiv-pure-eeg/.

Thank you!

Patrick Landon Mead
    Participant

Hi Linh
    I’m sorry. I meant Pure.EEG not OpenEEG.

As I’ve shared over email, Pure.EEG was not offered when I purchased my Insight. It seems manifestly unfair to force me to pay additional money for this new software just to achieve the capabilities, real-time processing of EEG, that I thought I was purchasing last April. This is particularly true given that I paid extra for EEG specifically. Additionally, my BCI project has been on hold as I’ve tried to work with support to understand what I actually purchased. Not only does this impact me as a consumer but it also impacts the people that I want to help.

There are so many options for Emotiv to remedy this situation in a way that is fair and speaks well of their brand. They could waive the fees for Pure.EEG for a year, a free download of Premium SDK, or a full refund (already denied) which would allow me to pursue other BCI solutions.

I appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Patrick Landon Mead
    Participant

My return with FedEx tracking number 784934143206 was received last Wednesday. Erica signed for it. When should I expect the refund?
    Thank you
    Patrick

George Besma
    Participant

Hi Linh,

I am currently working on a project using Emotiv epoch.Hope you can help me out.
    My project is to move a robot by using Emotiv Epoc. So far I only know that I need to train the headset and I need softwares’ to send data from the headset to robot. Sorry, I know this is a broad area. But I am confused on how to choose the right application, what should be done in the SDK and so on.
    Looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks,
    Besma George

Hi…
      I was wondering if you get to solve your problem.
      I have the same as yours, which that I’m working on project to move a robot and I don’t know what is the write code to use from the SDK!
      I need just a few headlines that I can make my way with

George Besma
    Participant

Hi Alawaie,

I did manage to speak to one of the people and found out that if you just want to carry out one action . For e.g. in my case i just want to move the robot forward and this can achieved through setting keystroke in emokey then sending data into application or onto a notepad. Then make a interface between the application/notepad to the robot. For e.g. I will be making an application to send data from emokey to robot.
    Hope this helps. Sorry, I am not the person if your enquiry is just regarding SDK.

Many thanks,
    Besma George

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  George Besma.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.