Cart
  • No products in the cart.
CART Total:$0.00

Emotiv Epoc to Processing

Homepage Forums Developer Forum Emotiv Epoc to Processing

This topic contains 21 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Miles Schneider 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Asad J. Malik
    Participant

I want to be able to interface my Emotiv Epoc with Processing to create some visuals based on the data I get from the Epoc. I want to be able to access facial expressions and the expressive suit for excitement levels etc.

Most places on the internet recommend MindYourOSCs for this purpose but after weeks of trying I’ve given up on it. It crashes everytime and doesn’t connect. What other ways are there for me to access live data from the Epoc to Processing?

gmac
    Keymaster

Maybe we should figure out why MindYourOSCs is crashing. Contact support for assistance – including what OS you are working with.
    Another approach is to use the Community Edition SDK to write your own data capture program and send it out as OSC packets

Asad J. Malik
    Participant

Appreciate the response. I’ll look into the SDK and make something custom if necessary but it will save me a lot of time if MindYourOSCs starts working. I gave up on it because other people on the forum had said it was crashing too.

Mansur Kim
    Participant

Asad J. Malik
    Participant

Thank you Mansur. I’ll write to you explaining the issue.

Mars Matt
      Participant

Hi, Asad, have you solved the OSC crashing issue?

Miles Schneider
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m having the same issue as Asad – Mind Your OSCs, EmoComposer and the Control Panel all open just fine, but when you try to connect OSC to one of the others, bad things happen:

Connect OSC to Control Panel (without the headset on) – indefinite “waiting” in OSC
    Connect OSC to Control Panel (headset on) – OSC crashes immediately
    Connect OSC to EmoComp – OSC displays “waiting”, and EmoComp displays “[Request] EXPRESSIVE_SET // [Reply] with error code 0.”

I am ultimately trying to feed Emotiv output to OSCs –> PD –> Logic Pro X as a MIDI controler.

I’m opening a support ticket now, just thought I’d post this to let you know this isn’t a one-off issue.

-Miles

P.S.
    Running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

Asad J. Malik
    Participant

Hey Miles and Mars,

Sorry for the late reply. I managed to get MindYourOSC to work. What did the trick was to select EmoEngine instead of control panel. Let me know if it doesn’t work for you guys. I’d be happy to help.

ELOUL IOUSTINI
      Participant

Hello there,

I am having trouble connecting the Emotiv Xavier Control Panel 3.3.3 to Mind Your OSCs. Whenever I attempt connection, the program displays ‘waiting’ and after some time, the program crashes. It would be great if you could send me step-by-step details on how to connect the Emotiv Xavier Control Panel to Mind Your OSCs. My purpose is to send the data from Emotiv Xavier Control Panel to Processing via osc protocol.

Thank you,
      Ioustini Eloul

Mars Matt
    Participant

Thanks Mansur, Asad and Miles

I have stuck in this for a week, and got a lot of help from Mansur. Just got reply from emotiv support team. As they said, connect MindYourOSC with EmoEngine is not working for EPOC+. But I don’t have a EPOC. I tried EPOC+ on windows 10 and MacOS 10.11.4, and both gave a waiting status when connected MindYourOSC with EmoEngine, and if I connect with Control Panel, MindYourOSC crash immediately.
    I’ll keep update my progress.

Miles Schneider
    Participant

Hi all,

Just to clarify, I too am working with EPOC+

Selecting EmoEngine doesn’t get me anywhere either. I’m wondering if anyone knows what “error code 0” is, as that is what EmoComp displays when I try to connect?

Schembri AndrewS
    Participant

I have the same problem as you guys. I have an art installation coming up that was supposed to use the EPOC+. Right now I have $799 worth of nothing on my hands, here are the reasons why.

I wanted to use mindyourosc. I tried connecting it to control panel. It crashes the instant I press connect.

I contact the creator of mind your osc and he tells me he hasnt tried the software since 2010. Yes you read that right. TWO THOUSAND AND TEN. Kids who were born the last time he looked at his software are now learning how to ride a bike.

Essentially Emotiv is marketing third party (and even some of their own) software that simply doesn’t worl. The reason it doesn’t work is because the EPOC+ in not compatible with the older software. Yet somehow the features haven’t been upgraded much since the first EPOC. Exactly. Because the EPOC+ is just a more expensive version of a headset that was less secure and easier to access. They should have called it EPOC-.

Might send it back since my 60 days return time is not up yet.

Has anyone tried accessing 127.0.0.1:3008 (the port from which mindyourscs takes the data?) and maybe convert that to OSC.

Thanks

HAving the same issue, bought two EPOC+ s and they r probably worth nothing since i cant connect to processing through Mind your OSC, EMOTIVE PLEASE HELP!

HAving the same issue, bought two EPOC+ s and they r probably worth nothing since i cant connect to processing through Mind your OSC, EMOTIVE PLEASE HELP!

Schembri AndrewS
    Participant

I talked to Raymond, the guy who wrote MindYourOSC. He linked me to his github page since mind your OSC is open sourced. I’ll try to get a system developer friend of mine to have a look at the mindyourosc code and the community sdk so we could maybe upgrade it.

Mars Matt
    Participant

I got the support email from EMotiv official Engineer, as he said, they also have this problem.

Hello,
    We are sorry for this bug. Mind Your OSC is a third party app. Now they haven’t updated libraries so it only runs well with Epoc headset. I tried Epoc+ on my computer and it connected but data is not correct.
    I will send an email to you as soon as they fix that bug completely.

So, even it be connected with Processing, you still can’t got correct data from the headset.

gmac
    Keymaster

We are also looking at this problem. MindYourOSCs is getting a rework to match the Community SDK. We don’t have a delivery date as yet

Schembri AndrewS
    Participant

And yet your website still says that it is compatible with the EPOC+. Hmm.

Miles Schneider
    Participant

So any updates yet? Gmac, anything new to report? Schembri AndrewS, did your system developer friend look at the software?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.