EMOTIV is on a mission to vastly improve our understanding of the human brain and to develop a platform for researchers, developers, and consumers around the world to be part of a global innovation task force. EMOTIV leads the field of mobile EEG technology and our technology has been validated and included in over 4,000 publications. We believe in the power of the human brain and our ability to tap into its potential to open up new possibilities for improving performance, health and ultimately, prevent disease. We are combining machine learning and huge brain data sets to accelerate brain research globally and to make a long term, positive impact on the world.
EMOTIV is seeking a full time Machine Learning Researcher. EMOTIV is seeking a motivated researcher that is interested in where neuroscience meets machine learning and artificial intelligence, looking to improve our technologies around brain computer interfaces, self-quantization metrics as well as basic neuroscience research. This is a full-time position.
The EMOTIV machine learning team in Hanoi will collaborate with the EMOTIV research team in Sydney to investigate what useful information can be learned from the large dataset that EMOTIV is accumulating.
In this position, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and evaluating conventional as well as deep learning techniques to identify useful biomarkers in the EEG data obtained using EMOTIV’s hardware. This requires a deep understanding of state-of-the-art techniques in machine learning, deep learning, or reinforcement learning, and relevant software frameworks. You will use your strong knowledge of scientific principles to suggest and research promising approaches. You will engage in team collaborations and have the ability to work in a demanding team-oriented environment to meet your goals. You are expected to maintain substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories. You may also participate in the development of intellectual property.
- Design conventional and deep learning techniques as applied to EEG
- Implement in Python machine learning algorithms in both batch and real-time processing
- Evaluate different machine learning approaches including signal processing options, feature generation and dimensional reduction strategies
- Create useful EEG based biomarkers that provide insight into the users’ thoughts, feelings and health
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Participate in the development of our cloud-based inhouse data-processing and machine learning pipeline codebase
- Collaborate with the software development team to implement the algorithms into fast real time classification algorithms
- Master’s Degree or other postgraduate qualifications in machine learning, statistics, computer science or related field
- 3+ years of academic or industrial experience in machine learning
- Hands on experience using both linear and non-linear methods of machine learning eg. linear discriminant analysis, gaussian models, SVMs, decision trees and random forests
- Understand how to use ensemble techniques such as bagging and boosting and random forests
- Hands on experience in Deep Learning techniques eg autoencoding
- Understanding of the various Deep Learning network architectures (RNN, CNN, LSTM etc) and know which type to use in a specific application
- Understanding of issues associated with multiclass classification problems
- Understanding of the importance of training, test and validation datasets
- Familiar with software development best practices
- Be able to explain complex concepts
The following will be looked upon favourably
- PhD in machine learning, statistics, computer science or related field
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks (TensorFlow, Theano, Caffe and or (Py)Torch)
- Experience working with data analysis in Python with Numpy and Pandas
- Experience with AWS technologies, EC2, S3, SQS
- Experience with containerization technologies
- Familiarity with details of implementing algorithms on multi-core CPUs, clusters (MPI) and GPUs
- Good English verbal and written communication skills
Why You’ll Love Working Here
EMOTIV is a bioinformatics company advancing understanding of the human brain using electroencephalography (EEG). Our mission is to empower individuals to understand their own brain and accelerate brain research globally.
Founded in 2011 by tech entrepreneurs Tan Le (CEO) and Dr. Geoff Mackellar (CTO) the company is headquartered in San Francisco, U.S.A. with facilities in Sydney, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
The technology falls under the umbrella of BCIs (Brain Computer Interface) also referred to as MMI (Mind Machine Interface), DNI (Direct Neural Interface), BMI (Brain Machine Interface) and aims to track cognitive performance, monitor emotions, and control both virtual and physical objects via machine learning of trained mental commands.
Applications for the EMOTIV technology and interface span an amazing variety of potential industries and applications – from gaming to interactive television, everyday computer interactions, hands-free control system, smart adaptive environments, art, accessibility design, market research, psychology, learning, medicine, robotics, automotive, transport safety, defense and security.
EMOTIV is a recognized pioneer and market leader in this field. Our products have won numerous international awards including the Red Dot Award, AutoVision Innovations Award, Australian International Design Awards, Australian Engineering Excellence Awards and Edison Awards. Our community of developers and researchers span over 100 countries.
To apply this position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org